To enroll, call 877-ONFILM1 (877-663-4561) or Enroll Online
at Ex'pression college for digital arts
Follow us on Yelp Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on YouTube

AND, THE OSCAR GOES TO…
Wishes & Predictions

February 11th 2012, by Celik Kayalar

A very strong year for women, both in the leading and supporting roles.

In the Leading Role category, I saw the performances of all the 5 ladies who are nominated:

• Glenn Close in “Albert Nobbs”
  • Viola Davis in “The Help”
  • Rooney Mara in “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”
  • Meryl Streep in “The Iron Lady”
  • Michele Williams in “My Week With Marilyn”

Who should the Oscar go to?: Glenn Close
Who will it go to?: Glenn Close

In the Supporting Role category for women, I saw the performances of all 5 nominees:

• Berenice Bejo in “The Artist”
  • Jessica Chastain in “The Help”
  • Melissa McCarthy in “Bridesmaids”
  • Janet McCarthy in “Albert Nobbs”
  • Octavia Spencer in “The Help”

Who should the Oscar go to?: Berenice Bejo
Who will it go to?: Octavia Spencer

In the Leading Role category for men, I saw only 3 performances:

• George Clooney in “The Descendants”
  • Jean Dujardin in “The Artist”
  • Gary Oldman in “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy”

Who should the Oscar go to? (among the 3 gentlemen, above): Jean Dujardin
Who will it go to?: Jean Dujardin

In the Supporting Role category for men, I only saw one performance:

• Kenneth Branagh in “My Week With Marilyn” (and, as I blogged before, it was a delightful performance).

Therefore, can’t make any predictions in this category.

Yet, I predict: Some day, a FABA Acting-Student will be nominated in one of the categories above. Wouldn’t that be fabulous?!

10 responses to “AND, THE OSCAR GOES TO…
Wishes & Predictions”

• 1
    Elena says:

Interesting predictions, Celik. Your Glenn Close prediction in the female-lead category was the most unexpected for me. She’s always been a favorite of mine, hope you turn out to be correct.
    Oh, thanks much for your prediction about us, the FABA Acting-Students; you and your faculty sure have been doing wonderful things about our training and career opportunities in the business. Hope one of us will make your prediction come true, someday! Many thanks for that too, as always!

• 2
    Ken Leeds says:

I haven’t seen the Glenn Close movie, but I thought that Streep’s performance in Iron Lady was great. Terry Gross (who hosts the NPR program “Fresh Air” did a very good interview of Streep. Lots of interesting insights.

• 3
    Celik Kayalar says:

Ken-I agree, Meryl Streep’s performance in Iron Lady was great (as usual). However she has won the Oscar several time already, and Glenn Close has not, even once. I believe the Academy will recognize this fact and Ms.Close’s consistently great work in films over the years and grant the Oscar to her, this year. Whoever wins, there will be no losers here…all nominees gave great performances, that’s why 2011 has been a great year in the female categories, both lead and supporting.

• 4
    Celik Kayalar says:

Hi Elena,
    Together with all our faculty at FABA, I will be very much looking forward to one of our students’ nomination for an Oscar someday! Then, we’ll all celebrate and say: Encore! Encore!
    Meanwhile, lets all keep up the good & hard work…
    Celik

• 5
    Marshell says:

I have to vote for Michele Williams. Of course all of the women up for best actress are wonderful, but Ms. Williams brought us a Marilyn perhaps we didn’t really know.

• 6
    alan reding says:

Its about time Glenn Close won, but here are my predictions:
    Viola Davis; Octavia Spencer; Jean Dujardin.

Don’t know any FABA acting-students personally, but have heard great things about the school. Hope Celik Kayalar’s prediction about them comes true some day, sooner than later.

• 7
    Beatrice Kayes says:

Would love to see Glenn Close win, but I’m going with Michele Williams in the female lead category.
    Loved “The Artist”, so will be rooting for Berenice Bejo and Jean Dujardin.

• 8
    Cassandra Telmour says:

My heart is with Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer, but will they give it to two African-Americans in the same year?

• 9
    Celik Kayalar says:

Cassandra,
    They may. They did in 2001: Halle Berry (in the female-lead category) and Denzel Washington (in the male-lead category). This year my guess is Viola Davis will not get the award; as good as her performance was in “The Help”, it was no match for Glenn Close’s, Meryl Streep’s or Michele Williams’. I predicted Octavia Spencer (“The Help”) as the winner in the supporting-female category and I’m sticking with it.

• 10
    Alan Thayer says:

Good call, Celik! I was rooting for Glenn Close too, her performances are always incredibly touching, but i gotta admit, Meryl was commanding in an other-worldly way in “Iron Lady” though she has a knack of winning and winning… She’s just darned good in everything she does. But this is great for Octavia!
    All in all, a very enjoyable and professional show last night, if not entirely predictable…. And yes, wouldn’t it be incredibly cool if one of our FABA students won an Oscar some day? Now THAT would put us on the map! See you tomorrow evening at FABA.